Reasi/Ramban, Aug 30 (KNO): Tragedy struck Jammu region once again within just four days, as 11 people lost their lives on Saturday in separate incidents of landslides and a cloudburst in the twin districts of Reasi and Ramban, pushing the death toll to over 100 in just 15 days."
According to the details available with the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), the back-to-back incidents of landslides and flash floods triggered by the cloudbursts in Kishtwar, Kathua, Katra, Reasi and Ramban have so far claimed the lives of almost 100 people in the past 15 days while several others are still missing and rescue operation is still going on.
As many as 64 people died in Kishtwar incident while Katra landslide claimed the lives of 35 people three days ago.
Today’s twin incidents were the fifth major incidents in Jammu region in the last fortnight triggered by the heavy rainfall.
Notably, J&K is presently witnessing intermittent rains for the last over one week, which also led to the flood-like situation across both the regions as the water level in all the major rivers and streams crossed the alert mark.
In yet another incident, a family of seven died after a landslide, triggered by heavy rainfall, struck a residential house in Bhadder village of Mahore tehsil in Reasi district.
Officials said the incident occurred early this morning when a massive landslide hit the house, located on a steep slope, burying the structure under debris. The house was occupied by multiple family members at the time of the incident.
“Seven people were trapped under the debris. Rescue teams, including personnel from the police, SDRF and local administration were dispatched immediately and all the bodies were recovered,” an official told KNO.
Meanwhile, the district administration appealed to residents living in hilly and landslide-prone areas to remain alert and avoid staying in vulnerable structures during periods of heavy rain.
An official said in another incident four people died after a cloudburst struck Rajgarh tehsil of Ramban district, while one person remains missing and according to the officials, the rescue operation was launched immediately to trace the missing person.
He said the rescue teams have recovered four bodies from the affected area and efforts are ongoing to trace the remaining missing person.
“The cloudburst triggered flash floods, damaging property and affecting normal life in the region. One person is still unaccounted for,” the official said.
LG ANGUISHED OVER LOSS OF LIVES
Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha expressed anguish over the loss of lives caused by recent landslides and cloudburst incidents in Reasi and Ramban districts, which left 11 people dead and one missing.
In a post on X, as per the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), the LG said that he has been in touch with senior officials to assess the situation and assured that all possible assistance is being provided to those affected.
UNION MOS SPEAKS TO DC RAMBAN
Meanwhile, Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh, in a post on X, said he had spoken to Deputy Commissioner Ramban, Mohammad Aiyaz Khan, regarding the incident.
"A cloudburst in the Rajgarh area has resulted in the unfortunate loss of four lives. One person is still missing, and search operations are underway. Fortunately, there are no injuries reported. Rescue efforts are in progress, and all possible assistance is being provided. I am in constant touch with the district administration," he said.
CM OMAR ASKS TO REMAIN VIGILANT, SAFEGUARD LIVES
Moreover, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also expressed condolences over the incident. In a post on X, his office stated: "The Chief Minister has expressed deep anguish over the loss of lives due to the landslide in Rajgarh, Ramban. He has directed the administration to carry out immediate rescue and relief operations."
According to the post by the Office of Chief Minister, J&K, “Chief Minister expressed deep sorrow over the tragic landslide in Reasi’s Bhadder village that claimed the lives of seven family members.”
Taking note of the continuous heavy rains, he appealed to people to remain alert, avoid vulnerable areas, and strictly adhere to safety advisories. He has directed the district administration and disaster management authorities to remain on the ground, ensure round-the-clock monitoring, carry out timely evacuation of residents from risk-prone zones, and provide immediate relief and all possible assistance to the affected families.
He instructed the concerned departments to remain vigilant, coordinate closely, and take every precautionary measure to safeguard lives during the ongoing inclement weather.
WEATHER FORECAST
In the meantime, the weatherman has issued yellow and orange warnings for the next three days, saying that there is a forecast of light to moderate rain till September 02.
Dr Mukhtar Ahmad, Director Meteorological department (MeT), told KNO that one or two spells of light to moderate rain is expected at scattered to fairly widespread places with possibility of heavy to very heavy rain over Jammu, Kathua & Samba and moderate to heavy rain and thundershower and intense showers at Udhampur, Reasi, Rajouri, Ramban, Doda & Kishtwar till September 02.
He said during the period, a few places of South Kashmir and central Kashmir may also experience light rain with brief intense showers with thunder and lightning.
From September 03 to September 08, he said that generally hot & humid weather is expected with brief spell of rain and thundershower at a few places.
ADVISORY ISSUED
The MeT in its advisory has stated that there is a possibility of heavy to very heavy rain, thundershower and intense showers at few places of Jammu division during 30th late night to 2nd September.
“There is a possibility of cloudbursts, flash floods, landslides, mudslides, shooting stones etc at few vulnerable places,” it reads and advised people to stay away from water bodies, Nallas, river embankments, loose structures etc.
All concerned are advised to stay alert & updated, the advisory reads—(KNO)